London : The Queen’s Gurkha Engineers (QGE) have mounted their first Queen’s Guard at Buckingham Palace for four years.
The regiment had earlier carried out the duty during Gurkha 200 celebrations in 2015.
The origins of the Changing of the Guard date back to 1660 and is carried out by troops on active duty.
The Queen’s Gurkha Engineers will provide the Queen’s Guard and Windsor Guard until April 12.
Each Gurkha will carry a kukri instead of a bayonet on parade and members of the public will be able to see personnel draw their kukris have them inspected at Wellington Barracks immediately before the Changing of the Guard.
The Queen's @GurkhaEngineers formed in 1948 and since the 1990s have been based in Maidstone as part of 36 Engineer Regiment.
📸Here The Queen receives a flower garland from daughters of serving Gurkha servicemen during her visit to Invicta Park Barracks in Maidstone in 2011. pic.twitter.com/qHbbGojkCt
— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) February 18, 2019